Web Hosting Forum - Net Hosting Talk

We are a community of individuals and businesses passionate about web hosting. Let's build, learn, and grow together.

Free Let's Encrypt or third party paid ssl?

hannibal

Registered
Hello,

Which HTTPS / SSL encryption do you use? Which provider is better/faster in terms of SEO / usability?

Currently have the well-known and free Let's Encrypt in use. However, my hosting provider also offers the paid ssl of another provider. I believe COMODO CA Limited.

Does it have any advantage to prefer the cost free version of the Let's Encrypt?

Thanks,
hannibal

• Advertisement
  • Hello,

Google makes no difference if the certificate is from X or Y. For Google, it's important that the page is encrypted at all.

hannibal said:
    Hello,

Which HTTPS / SSL encryption do you use? Which provider is better/faster in terms of SEO / usability?

Currently have the well-known and free Let's Encrypt in use. However, my hosting provider also offers the paid ssl of another provider. I believe COMODO CA Limited.

Does it have any advantage to prefer the cost free version of the Let's Encrypt?

Thanks,
    hannibal

Google has marked an ssl cert as a ranking signal since 2014, but has not clarified if there would be different effectiveness between a paid and free ssl cert yet. Thus, for most of us, there's not a necessity to add a paid ssl cert on our personal or non-trading sites, a free Let's encrypt ssl is fine and enough.

I'm currently using a free Let's Encrypt SSL certificate, as it is included in my hosting plan. Everything has been just fine so far, so I don't think about switching to a paid version.

You can use free Let's Encrypt SSL, it's good. And you can configure auto renewal after 3 months if you want. I use it also, it's pretty good.

I suppose now the big deal with SSL certificates is having EV or not having EV.

Consumers are slowly being educated that EV green bar is more genuine then a standard SSL certificates.

• Advertisement
  • For sure Free SSL is okey if you don't want to give more money for one other service for your business. Google makes no difference between free and paid SSL. So go ahead, use the free one.

Advertisement

Back