Web Hosting Forum - Net Hosting Talk

We are a community of individuals and businesses passionate about web hosting. Let's build, learn, and grow together.

Recommend web hosting for a social network

hughes

Registered
Hello,

looking web hosting for SocialEngine, social media development services. where peoples can post their photos & videos. Video is understandable you can link to youtube, i am thinking about photos.

i found hostgator web hosting, which gives unlimited space.  The question is, is it really possible to get unlimited hosting? Is there any hosting for photos & videos?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Unlimited hosting does not exist. For such purposes, you need to host website on dedicated server, or else you will be expelled from any hosting, as soon as the server with other customers on board starts to lag because of your load.

I recommend a VPS and a CDN service for such business model. If you are expecting too much of traffic to your website. Else shared hosting will even do for few visitors.
    But if you are getting ton of traffic you might need to move to a dedicated server.

Don't go with a provider that has unlimited space, that doesn't exist. All hard drives have limits.

For a social networking site I would recommend a VPS at a minimum.

You'll definately need a powerful server for that kind of user base and the server should be optimized within the guidelines that web hosting services provided.
    There are lots of hosting providers which are useful for Social Networking site, i would say "Bluehost", "Hostgator" and "DomainRacer" stands out and offer really good services.
    Hopefully it helps, good luck!

hughes said:
    Hello,

looking web hosting for SocialEngine, social media development services. where peoples can post their photos & videos. Video is understandable you can link to youtube, i am thinking about photos.

i found hostgator web hosting, which gives unlimited space.  The question is, is it really possible to get unlimited hosting? Is there any hosting for photos & videos?

thanks
    First, I would ask what amount of resources do you actually need for your photos. Obviously, it's not unlimited. What you'll find on most unlimited plans are other resource restrictions. Be sure to read each prospective provider's Terms of Service, and if you don't find what you're looking for, ask them outright. Good luck with your site, sir.

I believe that first you need to decide which kind of web hosting you need. I think it is better to start with shared web hosting account and then decide if you need something bigger or not.

• Advertisement
  • The best place to search for affordable web site hosting plans is the internet itself.
    In this kind of tight spot, it is good to evaluate well the web hosting providers.

Advertisement

Back