Web Hosting Forum - Net Hosting Talk

We are a community of individuals and businesses passionate about web hosting. Let's build, learn, and grow together.

How much money does it cost to buy a server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Novice
How much money would it cost if I wanted to buy my own private server and offer it for hosting to other companies? Is it more expensive like this and what about maintenance costs?

• Advertisement
  • Your cost to buy a server could range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand, just depending on what you want the server for.

For instance, if you just want to host your own site or store files, you can choose one on the cheaper end.

However, if your idea is to manage multiple online websites, even for paid hosting clients, then you will invest much more.

The dedicated server cost is depends on its configuration, if your server configuration is high, you need to pay more...

It depends on the configuration like the above poster said. But it can cost anything for $75 to a few thousand depending on what you want to do with it. You'll also be paying a monthly fee if you host it in a datacenter, this price ranges on your requirments but the range is much smaller $50/month to $300/month. On average I think most colo fees are around $75-$100/month.

Larry said:
    How much money would it cost if I wanted to buy my own private server and offer it for hosting to other companies?  Is it more expensive like this and what about maintenance costs?

Its depends upon the configuration you need to bought

It completely depends on the configuration you want, in this faster growing internet world now dedicated servers are available from $20 to thousands on dollars depending on the configuration. And regarding the maintenance cost if you are good with system monitoring and administration then there will be no additional maintenance cost for you. If you are unaware of the server stuff then there are also options to hire system administration with additional cost or buy a managed dedicated server costing which will add some more amount to your server needs.

In most cases, server hardware and software costs represent only a small part of the total cost of ownership. In fact, the hardware and software costs typically account for only 15 to 25 percent of the overall costs associated with installing, maintaining, upgrading and supporting server.

Hello,

Well, your questions seem that you wish to be the reseller, better you have posted this into reseller section, anyway, being the reseller is really a very good startup for your business, but it is also important that you must have proper planning for it. If you wish to be a reseller for shared or for VPS then proper partition must be done using virtulization. It is not just you purchase the server and you sell it with high price, this condition can be digested only if you wish to sell unmanaged server. Further just purchasing and selling server is not at all a business you need to be Tech savio for this too.

Thanks
    Calvin K

It completely depends on your need. What type of specifications/configurations you`re looking for your server? Is it a Linux or Windows server? Pricing for Windows VPS usually starts from as low as $24.95/month you may also get some additional discount if you pay annually depending on your hosting provider.

Regards,
    Akshay

For purchasing a server, it may cost between $1000-$3000 for a small business. The cost of a small business server will depend on how much CPU, bandwidth, disk space, and memory is required.

Regards,
    Lewis

A decent start is dell poweredges. They are considered pro-sumer.

Make sure you get one with Xeon in it.

Price of a server really depends on what are your hardware requirements. Prices go up depending on CPU, RAM config, and HD type.

As most others have said here it really depends on the hardware requirements and what you are looking at getting.
    These days if you are just starting out personally I would suggest first coming up with a long term plan and gain knowledge doing your own personal hosting etc to get the skills needed and a budget in order.

After that you can get some used equipment if you want to go the cheaper route, or buy new and those cost more money. Both options work great, however just make sure to budget for 1-2 years of not having clients if you are first starting out and plan to slowly grow from there,if you grow quicker that's great.

• Advertisement
  • How much money would it cost if I wanted to buy my own private server and offer it for hosting to other companies? Is it more expensive like this and what about maintenance costs?
    It depends on your configuration and according to your need then you can get to know the exact price.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

Back