how many CSS sheets allowed for a site?

Whether you're a budding designer looking for some tips or a HTML guru looking to advise, the Website Design & Graphics forums are the perfect place for you. Want your site reviewed? Post it here for our members and moderators to critique.
fulton

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Hello,

I could see that some only used a CSS sheet for their entire site. I wonder if it's not "risky" to do that (for example, use the same id multiple times) ... And so what would be the best solution between:

- use a single CSS sheet for the entire site

- use a CSS sheet per HTML page

- or do both (use a CSS sheet common to the whole site that groups elements that always come back, such as the header, the nav, the title, the logo, footer, etc. AND use a CSS sheet specific to each page for everything else ?

While waiting for your opinions ...

edwin

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:13 pm

Using a style sheet per page would slow down the loading speed of your pages, instead use a single sheet and separate each part with comments

Use the id in case the element is unique and strictly no other situation, otherwise use classes.
fulton

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:25 pm

Ok, thanks for your opinion! it reassures me, it makes things much easier! And I must confess that I had great doubts, because on many sites there are dozens of style sheets.
HMASERV

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:15 am

A web app with a global set of design patterns, and then lesser-used design patterns on different sections of the site.
Content heavy site with a global set of structure, grid and typography and then additional CSS loaded for specific sections of site that need more.
Sites where every page is very unique (global and page-specific CSS).
Most sites.
saifulmac

Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 am

Hey, I will go for the "do both". Common elements css in a style file and other pages css in separate css files.
  • Information