Benchmarking for Hosting providers?

Our discussions on Web Hosting that will tell you everything you need to know. Find advice, questions and answers on the who's, what's, when's and where's of the Web Hosting world.
javier

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Are there sites where hosting providers are compared / discussed with technology / speed? So not so much personal reviews and opinions, but more "can you measurably make what you promise?" .... 

I'm looking for a reseller like solution for my hosting because I do not feel like having time in self management from my VPS.

Of course, it gets from the hosting review sites (where one host just gets better), but I've only met 1 "speed comparative" and that was the test of 2016. 

Figures give me better insight than opinions. But I do not get anything from Google... 

Suggestions? 

Ps. I'm NOT looking for offers ....
Last edited by javier on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larryrush

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Please note that hardware testing is highly dependent on all kinds of technical factors. Like how many customers are there on a host server. How busy are those other customers at the time of testing. If you want benchmarking, then you will need to perform tests for a long period of time and resources. It's all quite complex and immediately the reason it's not being done independently.

Furthermore, when choosing a provider, matters such as support and reliability also play a role that will not follow the benchmarks.
littleton

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Like @"larryrush" , you should not only look at performance and price but to the total picture around it, you'd rather have a web host that has a 5ms lower latency of what you are pinging and where your website charges 2 seconds faster but an uptime has 70% and grateful support. Whether a web hosting company that has 99.999% uptime has a customer service that you live on and within 15 minutes answer tickets, but your website is 2 seconds slower than the other web hosting provider. Or do you prefer a web host that says these are your data, plan your plan or a web host that helps you step by step with your transfer / installation / ....
edwin

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Besides what has already been said, of course, you should look at which one is the best for you. Of all our customers there has been 1 who wanted to know in advance what he started. That mail conversation consisted of over 400 mails before he took a few servers. Now I do not really want to motivate and do not step in (hehe), but just put your questions and so on by email and send it to a few hosters. With a more personal approach, you also notice faster or click and you often get clear answers to the points you're in.

Only numbers can of course also give a very wrong picture. For example, you can have a server that has bare-metal on an uplink, but also a shared hosting vps that is behind hardware firewalls, software firewalls, application firewall and / or IDS. This will be the first faster, but you can expect more attention, especially if it's broken. The 2nd may be a little slower, but can be in the air again after 2 minutes.

Even things like 'uptime' say nothing. An uptime of 100% does not really mean that your website is 100% of the time in the air. Only that the server is not down. And as long as there are no conditions for not getting uptimes, you can say as a cough what you want of course.
littleton

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:10 pm

And email on crazy times, weekends and / or holidays You will be amazed .. :)
  • Information