Free Let's Encrypt or third party paid ssl?

Our discussions on Web Hosting that will tell you everything you need to know. Find advice, questions and answers on the who's, what's, when's and where's of the Web Hosting world.
hannibal

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Hello,

Which HTTPS / SSL encryption do you use? Which provider is better/faster in terms of SEO / usability?

Currently have the well-known and free Let's Encrypt in use. However, my hosting provider also offers the paid ssl of another provider. I believe COMODO CA Limited.

Does it have any advantage to prefer the cost free version of the Let's Encrypt?

Thanks,
hannibal

larryrush

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Hello,

Google makes no difference if the certificate is from X or Y. For Google, it's important that the page is encrypted at all.
raffm

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:29 pm

hannibal wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:25 pm
Hello,

Which HTTPS / SSL encryption do you use? Which provider is better/faster in terms of SEO / usability?

Currently have the well-known and free Let's Encrypt in use. However, my hosting provider also offers the paid ssl of another provider. I believe COMODO CA Limited.

Does it have any advantage to prefer the cost free version of the Let's Encrypt?

Thanks,
hannibal
Google has marked an ssl cert as a ranking signal since 2014, but has not clarified if there would be different effectiveness between a paid and free ssl cert yet. Thus, for most of us, there's not a necessity to add a paid ssl cert on our personal or non-trading sites, a free Let's encrypt ssl is fine and enough.
sandranicol

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:36 pm

well paid ssl will give you better security than the free ssl, thats the main advantage of paid ssl.
  • Information